In this episode, Conor and Bryce chat with Ben Deane and Tristan Brindle about C++Now 2023!
About the Guests
Ben Deane has been programming in C++ for this whole millennium. He spent just over 20 years in the games industry working for companies like EA and Blizzard; many of the games he worked on used to be fondly remembered but now he’s accepted that they are probably mostly forgotten. After getting more interested in modern C++, in the teens he started giving internal company talks and then talks at various conferences, spreading ideas about types, algorithms and declarative and functional techniques.
In 2018 he left the games industry and worked in finance for a short spell, writing high-frequency trading platforms using the most modern C++ that compilers could support. Now he is a Principal Engineer at Intel where he puts monads inside your CPU.
Tristan Brindle a freelance programmer and trainer based in London, mostly focussing on C++. He is a member of the UK national body (BSI) and ISO WG21. Occasionally I can be found at C++ conferences. He is also a director of C++ London Uni, a not-for-profit organisation offering free beginner programming classes in London and online. He has a few fun projects on GitHub that you can find out about here.
Date Recorded: 2023-05-16
Date Released: 2023-05-19
- ADSP Episode 24: C++Now 2021 with Ben Deane & Tony Van Eerd
- ADSP Episode 29: From Papa John’s to Google (Part 1)
- ADSP Episode 58: Otto & Eric Niebler! (Part 1)
- Conquering C++20 Ranges - Tristan Brindle - CppCon 2021
- Ben Deane Talk Playlist
- C++Now 2018: Ben Deane “Easy to Use, Hard to Misuse: Declarative Style in C++”
- Sean Parent’s C++ Seasoning
- Declarative thinking, declarative practice - Kevlin Henney - Meeting C++ 2017
- CppCon 2016: Ben Deane “std::accumulate: Exploring an Algorithmic Empire”
- C++Now 2023 Schedule
- C++Now 2023: Calendrical C++: std::chrono, History, Mathematics and the Computus - Ben Deane
- C++Now 2023: Speeding Date: Implementing Fast Calendar Algorithms - Cassio Neri
- Leap Years
- C++Now 2023: Applicative: the Forgotten Functional Pattern - Ben Deane
- C++Now 2019: Ben Deane “Identifying Monoids: Exploiting Compositional Structure in Code”
- C++Now 2023: What is Low Latency C++? (Part 1) - Timur Doumler
- Monoids, Monads, and Applicative Functors: Repeated Software Patterns - David Sankel - CppCon 2020
Intro Song Info
Miss You by Sarah Jansen https://soundcloud.com/sarahjansenmusic
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Free Download / Stream: http://bit.ly/l-miss-you
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/iYYxnasvfx8