In this episode, Conor has a conversation with Ben Deane and Tony Van Eerd while at C++Now 2021.
About the Guests:
For Ben Deane, C++ wasn’t even among the first 10 languages that he learned on his programming journey, but it’s been the one that has paid the bills for the last 20-odd years. He spent most of that time in the games industry; many of the games he worked on used to be fondly remembered but now he’s accepted that they are probably mostly forgotten. These days he works in the finance industry writing high-frequency trading platforms in the most modern C++ that compilers can support.
In his spare time he watches a lot of YouTube’s educational sector, practices the Japanese art of tsundoku, reads about the history of programming, avoids doing DIY, and surprises his wife by waking in the middle of the night yelling, “of course, it’s a monad!” before going back to sleep and dreaming of algorithms.
Tony Van Eerd has been coding for well over 25 years, and hopefully coding well for most of that. Previously at Inscriber, Adobe, and BlackBerry, he now enables Painting with Light at Christie Digital. He is on the C++ Committee. He is a Ninja and a Jedi.
Date Recorded: 2021-05-06
Date Released: 2021-05-07
- C++Now 2018: Ben Deane “Easy to Use, Hard to Misuse: Declarative Style in C++”
- C++Now 2017: Ben Deane & Jason Turner “constexpr ALL the things!”
- Conor Hoekstra — ITM: My least favorite anti-pattern
- Functional C++ for Fun and Profit by Phil Nash
- YOW! 2013 Kevlin Henney - The SOLID Design Principles Deconstructed
- Breaking Dependencies: The SOLID Principles - Klaus Iglberger - CppCon 2020
- SOLID Revisited: The State of the Matter - Phil Nash [ ACCU 2021 ]
- C++Now 2017: Tony Van Eerd “Postmodern C++”
- C++Now 2018: Tony Van Eerd “Words of Wisdom”
- One Letter Programming Languages
- C++Now 2019: Conor Hoekstra “Algorithm Intuition”
- Simple Made Easy 2012 - Rich Hickey
- Slow Coding - Ben Deane; A View to a Thing - Jason Turner - 2020-10-11
- The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.
- LadyBug Podcast
Intro Song Info
Miss You by Sarah Jansen https://soundcloud.com/sarahjansenmusic
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Free Download / Stream: http://bit.ly/l-miss-you
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/iYYxnasvfx8