In this episode, Conor and Bryce talk to Barry Revzin about Rust, Val, Carbon, ChatGPT, error propagation in C++26 and more!
Link to Episode 114 on Website
About the Guest
Barry Revzin is a senior C++ developer at Jump Trading in Chicago, a research and technology driven trading firm. After programming for many years, he got really into the nuances and intricacies of C++ by being unreasonably active on StackOverflow (where he is the top contributor in C++14, C++17, and C++20). A lot of his C++ knowledge comes from just answering questions that he doesn’t know the answers to, especially when he answers them incorrectly at first.
His C++ involvement escalated when he started attending standards committee meetings in 2016, having written dozens of papers for C++20 and now C++23. You might know him from such features as <=>, pack expansion in lambda init-capture, explicit(bool), conditionally trivial special member functions and, recently approved for C++23, deducing this.
Outside of the C++ world, Barry is an obsessive swimming fan. He writes fun data articles for SwimSwam and also does analysis for the DC Trident, a professional swim team featuring Olympic Gold Medalists Zach Apple and Anna Hopkin, managed by two-time Olympian Kaitlin Sandeno.
Date Recorded: 2023-01-15
Date Released: 2023-01-27
- ADSP Episode 113: The C++26 Pipeline Operator with Barry Revzin!
- P2011 A pipeline-rewrite operator
- P2672 Exploring the Design Space for a Pipeline Operator
- Rust Programming Language
- Rust Traits
- Swift Protocols
- Rust The Cargo Book
- Val Programming Language
- Carbon Programming Language
- Carbon Operator Precendence
- Vittorio Romeo’s Epochs: a backward-compatible language evolution mechanism
- ADSP Episode 97: C++ vs Carbon vs Circle vs CppFront with Sean Baxter
- Circle Compiler
- ChatGPT: Optimizing Language Models for Dialogue
- Oxide and Friends Podcast
- Bryan Cantrill on Twitter
- Bryan Cantrill: The Summer of RUST
- On The Metal Podcast
- Oxide and Friends: NeXT, Objective-C, and contrasting histories
- Elixir Docs
- Rust Docs
- P2561 An error propagation operator
- Sy Brand’s
- P0798R4 - Monadic operations for
- Chicago C++ Meetup: Defining Range Formatting
Intro Song Info
Miss You by Sarah Jansen https://soundcloud.com/sarahjansenmusic
Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0
Free Download / Stream: http://bit.ly/l-miss-you
Music promoted by Audio Library https://youtu.be/iYYxnasvfx8